Realty Locator/Housing Specialist,Community Based Shelter Program
FamilyAid Boston seeks to hire a Realty Locator / Housing Specialist for our Community Based Shelter Program.
Summary of the Position:
Accept the challenge. Help a family find a new home. Help them change their life. As a Housing Specialist for our Community Based Shelter Program, you will work with homeless families to identify housing options, design a plan, and coordinate their move from shelter to safe, appropriate, permanent housing as quickly as possible. As the Realty Locator, you will engage with landlords, property owners, and realtors throughout the Commonwealth and develop a supply of readily available, affordable housing units. Join the hardworking, successful FamilyAid housing team as we create new opportunities for families recovering from homelessness. We need a sincere, outgoing, accomplished professional unafraid to contact new people and able to network within Boston and beyond. Partner with our experienced, resourceful social services team to help ensure housing stability for our families and offer them a better life.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conducts initial assessment of participant families for the purpose of determining housing needs and housing search capabilities, as well as barriers to future housing.
- Collaborates with team to develop, monitor, and modify individualized housing placement plan for each family.
- Educates and assists families in the housing placement and stabilization process.
- Assists families with housing applications, identification and remediation of barriers, and mobilization of resources.
- Monitors and supervises compliance and progress of efforts and outcomes.
- Accompanies families to housing interviews, screenings, and other appointments.
- Conducts research regarding rental housing market, including industry standards, best practices, lead remediation requirements, occupancy laws, etc.
- Connects with housing authorities, management companies, landlords, property owners, and realtors to identify and cultivate unit leads.
- Provides written progress reports in a timely manner, as required by FamilyAid and the contracting agency, the Department of Housing and Community Development.
- Additional responsibilities as directed by the Housing Coordinator and Program Manager.
- Previous social service experience and strong interest in working with homeless families. Previous experience in real estate with knowledge of affordable housing options and success locating housing for extremely low income families.
- Ability to work with families from diverse social, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds in a culturally sensitive, team oriented approach.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, preferably with bilingual capability.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to strengthen relationships and educate landlords on the Commonwealth’s HomeBASE program and its stabilization component.
- Valid Driver’s License with ability to navigate urban environment.
Community Based Shelter Program Housing Coordinator
The position is based at 727 Atlantic Avenue, Boston, MA.
Expectation that significant amount of work time will be spent in the field.
Full-time 40 hours. Weekdays 8:30 am – 5:00 pm with flexibility to best meet families’ needs. Some Evening/Weekend availability will be required.
If you are interested, please email or mail a cover letter and resume to:
FamilyAid Boston is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
727 Atlantic Ave
Boston, MA 02111